Dental braces are appliances which are used to align or straighten the teeth and guide the teeth to corrected position. Braces are measure/aid to correct irregular teeth positioning, jaw corrections, improvement in chewing and smile aesthetics.
Adult teeth or permanent teeth replaces primary teeth which aids in appearance, speech and digestion. However, people can face following issues in this phase which can be corrected by Orthodontic Treatment.
- Crowding / Haphazardly placed teeth which can lead to poor oral hygiene and can also be the reason for Dental Caries (Cavities)
- Improper Bites that affects chewing efficiency
- It can be a major reason for Periodontal problems such as Bleeding Gums, Halitosis (Bad Breath) and Tooth Mobility (Premature loss of teeth)
- If the teeth are irregular then it can cause calculus deposits leading to yellow teeth
- Forwardly placed / Proclined Teeth which leads to more convex profile and posteriorly displaced chin
- Open Bite
- Spacing between Teeth which can cause speech problems
A stage when you have combination of both primary and permanent teeth in mouth is called Mixed Dentition.
- Jaw Growth disorders can be corrected in a non-invasive manner which may later require surgical correction
- Treatment of crooked teeth before it affects Child’s psychology
Metal Conventional Braces:
These are the traditional and most common type of braces. The metal braces used today are much more comfortable and smaller in size. These require elastics which come in variety of colors to tie the wire to the braces. The wires use your body heat to move teeth more quickly and less painfully. There is no age limit attached with these as patients of all ages can choose to straighten their teeth using metal braces.
Metal Self Ligating Braces
- These are metal Brackets with a shutter or lock system
- These do not require use of elastics to tie the wire
- These are more comfortable and smaller in size as compared to traditional metal braces
- These braces minimize the need for extraction
- These are helpful in achieving arch expansion
Ceramic Conventional Braces
Ceramic braces are the clear brackets. They use tooth color and blends more naturally with your teeth. The shape and size are the same as metal braces. These are less visible on the teeth as a result are used by older teenagers and adults who have aesthetic concerns. Sometimes even the wires used are of tooth color which makes them less noticeable. Being less prominent they require more care and protection than metal braces as they are larger and more brittle. Because they require extra protection, they are used more in upper teeth than lower.
Lingual Braces are heavy metal braces which are placed behind the teeth. These metallic braces can be made even of silver or gold. The individual Bracket is customized used CAD-CAM / 3D Designing. The treatment is highly aesthetic and less visible. This however can cause mild speech difficulties.
Clear Aligners are medical grade plastic trays that do not require any braces or wire. They are totally invisible hence the aesthetic concerns are duly met. Though placed inside they do not have any food restrictions associated. People believe that being placed on the inside they might face speech difficulties which is a total myth. On the other hand, the transparent braces they are highly comfortable and hygienic.